The Eco Warriors were set up to inform and promote environmental projects throughout the school. Within the school, each class has two representatives who attend half-termly meetings, promote campaigns, and work closely with staff members to improve the environment of the school and the surrounding area.
Each year, Eco Warriors support activities such as:
- The Big British tidy - tidying up the local area as part of a National Campaign.
- Maintaining a Bug Hotel - providing a safe habitat for mini beasts to prosper and show the children the importance of caring for animals.
- Reducing one-use plastics - creating a school campaign for children to use reusable water bottles in their class.
- Reduce the amount of paper waste - speaking in class assemblies and promoting reusing paper for notes, drafts, and wet playtimes.
- Completing an environmental check - working with the caretaker to spot areas of improvement within the school.
- Growing plants and vegetables - along with the School Governors, the children spend time improving the school grounds by planting trees and vegetables, caring for and monitoring them throughout the spring and summer terms.
- Switch Off Fortnight - The whole school participate in a day of no electricity in the classrooms. This reduces the usage by up to 1/3 compared to a normal day!
These successes are then shared with the children during Assembly times and on the Eco Warriors board.
The Eco-Warrior's aim this year is to re-apply and successfully maintain our status of having the highest honour, The Eco-Schools Green Flag Award. As a school, we are very proud of this!