The Eco Warriors were set up to inform and promote environmental projects throughout the school. Within the school, each class has two representatives who attend half-termly meetings, promote campaigns and work closely with staff members to improve the environment of the school and the surrounding area.
In recent years, the Eco Warriors have been involved in activities such as:
- The Big British tidy - tidying up the local area as part of a National Campaign.
- Building a Bug Hotel - providing a safe habitat for mini beasts to prosper and show the children the importance of caring for animals.
- Reducing one-use plastics - creating a school campaign for children to use reusable water bottles in their class.
- Reduce the amount of paper waste - speaking in class assemblies and promoting reusing paper for notes, drafts and wet play times.
- Completing an environmental check - working with the caretaker in order to spot areas of improvement within the school.
- Growing plants and vegetables - along with the School Governors, the children spend time improving the school grounds by planting trees and vegetables, caring and monitoring them throughout the spring and summer terms.
- Switch Off fortnight - The whole school participated in a day of no electricty in the classrooms. This reduced the usage by a 1/3, compared to a normal day!
These success are then shared with the children during Assembly times and on the Eco Warriors board.
The Eco Warriors aim is to gain the Silver Award by the end of the Summer and the team are working hard to ensure this happens.
If you have any questions, please speak to our Eco Warriors.
Year 1: George and Melissa
Year 2: Haddy and Liana
Year 3: Abbey and Justin
Year 4: Medani and Amy G
Year 5: Barbod and Ellie
Year 6 : Millie-May and Tyler
Keep an eye out on our Twitter page throughout the year for further successes!