Little Wandle Letters and Sounds Revised
At Nonsuch Primary School, we believe that all our children can become fluent readers and writers. This is why we teach reading through Little Wandle Letters and Sounds Revised, which is a systematic and synthetic phonics programme. We start teaching phonics in Reception and follow the Little Wandle Letters and Sounds Revised progression, which ensures children build on their growing knowledge of the alphabetic code, mastering phonics to read and spell as they move through school.
As a result, all our children are able to tackle any unfamiliar words as they read. At Nonsuch Primary School, we also model the application of the alphabetic code through phonics in shared reading and writing, both inside and outside of the phonics lesson and across the curriculum. We have a strong focus on language development for our children because we know that speaking and listening are crucial skills for reading and writing in all subjects.
How are phonics sessions delivered?
We teach phonics for 30 minutes a day. In Reception, we build from 10-minute lessons, with additional daily oral blending games, to the full-length lesson as quickly as possible. Each Friday, we review the week’s teaching to help children become fluent readers.
- Children make a strong start in Reception: teaching begins in Week 2 of the Autumn term.
- Children in Reception are taught to read and spell words using Phase 2 and 3 GPCs, and words with adjacent consonants (Phase 4) with fluency and accuracy.
- Children in Year 1 review Phase 3 and 4 and are taught to read and spell words using Phase 5 GPCs with fluency and accuracy.
- The decodable reading practice book is taken home (via an eBook) to ensure success is shared with the family.
- Reading for pleasure books also go home for parents to share and read to children.
Little Wandle Letters and Sounds Revised 2021: Programme progression
Glossary of Little Wandle Letters and Sounds Revised: Terminology
For full effectiveness, the Little Wandle Letters and Sounds Glossary is incorporated into all phonics lessons to ensure consistency.
Phonics Resources for Parents
To support your child at home, please access the “Little Wandle Parents” section of the following website. https://www.littlewandlelettersandsounds.org.uk/resources/for-parents/
You will find several downloadable documents and videos that help your child with the correct pronunciation of phonic sounds covered in Reception and Year 1.